Reflections on an Unusual Way to Live

I often chuckle when occasionally the old-fashioned hymn is sung that has the following phrase, “Here I raise my Ebenezer, Hitherto I’ve come by faith”. I wonder if anyone is asking, “What’s an Ebenezer?” The term is a Hebrew name, meaning a “stone of help’, a memorial stone signifying an event of God helping Israel. I hope all who carefully read the following blog would see it as a memorial stone to the Lord signifying a snapshot at a-point-in-time in terms of reflecting on ministry and the future. Hopefully, the heart of this paper is written under the advice of St. James when he encouraged future planning to be linked with humility of heart when he advises, “If the Lord wishes, and we are alive, we will do such and such.”

Life-long learning has been one of my reoccurring themes in leadership development. Not only is this good for mental agility, but since there is so much change currently in our culture, survival itself needs a high degree of adaptability. I recently took a Strengths-Finders self-test and scored quite high in adaptability, “the ability to see the future not as a fixed destination, rather a place you create out of the choices made right now”. Maybe this gives a whole new meaning to finding joy in the journey. In YWAM we have dubbed this a new beatitude, “Blessed are the flexible, they shall not be broken.”

So, in response to the adaptability strength, I would venture to say that I have entered some new territory, off the map in respects to the past, and maybe in the realm of “There-be-dragons!” A clear indication ascribed on ancient maps warning of dangerous, unknown territory. This has been abundantly made clear as my faith-support income has steadily been shrinking, the effects of aging are catching up to me, and the general culture shifts which are now the new norms challenge us on multiple fronts. Let me unpack these three factors briefly.

Faith-support is a form of financial support for Christian workers that recognize to live in the world one needs some income from some source to offer Christian services, often without a cost. After all salvation is a free gift, so there should be no cost to any who receives it. Therefore, Christian “work” involves a high degree of benevolence within the system to sustain ministry of any type, be it church, ministry, or missions. Youth With A Mission takes an unusual stance in this field by not paying a salary to any of it workers, even long-term ones like myself. So, YWAM works because all of the staff from the newest recruit to International leaders are self-supporting volunteers. Faith-support has worked for many years, but there are many challenges as the system changes-it is harder to raise donations in all sectors of charity work. For example we had support from 2 “home churches’ in Minnesota for over 25 years, but due to the economic downturn both churches re-prioritized their missionary giving. On the positive side we have been extremely grateful for the longevity of backing from these 2 church bodies; but once the support is gone there seems to be little chance of reinvestment in us, no matter how the economy behaves. Meanwhile, to shop around for similar churches to support ministry to the same degree is a daunting task. So, rather than looking at this in a negative way and adopting a fix-it mindset, perhaps this is a new opportunity!? Should we look to the broad group of friends and family, as well as seek some new church backing?

Along with the obvious financial challenges that come with a shift in faith support are the new challenges of aging. I remember clearly a shift in our parents’ conversation with us when all of a sudden health issues started to dominate. We are not quite in that space yet, however I am noticing some early warning indicators. Linked with this “recognition of mortality” is a narrowing of focus with a desire to create and invest my energy with wisdom. Many of the leadership councils I have attended in the past year have been times when huge challenges have needed the wisdom of the Spirit to unravel complex situations. It has been a joy to be included in these times and to reflect on the good effects of decisions made and implemented. As I move into more of an eldering role in YWAM, it is not about taking on more tasks and responsibilities, but becoming a coach and mentor to a new generation of missionaries and postmodern cultural workers. Theoretically, most leadership experts agree this time of my life is one of congruence, when wisdom and experience meets another generation as a new season of ministry. It has the greatest degree of ministry satisfaction as long as one can maintain to the end.

Bob Dylan sang back in the 1960s that “The times, they are a changing!” What was then a protest and minor cultural disruption has become a full scale cultural transformation where change has been seen as a river of (dis)continuous white water rapids. As thrilling as running rapids can be, doing it full-time with all of the adrenaline involved is not healthy for anyone involved. Culture shift is hard on everybody, even if adaptability is a high strength.

Despite the challenges I need to raise more faith support. To do so I need to convince potential donors that not only am I a supportable ministry, but that donors actually are partners with me in ministry. Essentially, my ministry is now an eldering ministry in YWAM that includes leadership development and organization integrity. Rising to a new level of support is absolutely essential for the ability to continue in ministry. Donations made in both Canada and USA are tax deductible and the prayer back-up that comes with these donations is essential. It is easier to have large donations from single sources, but wisdom seems to dictate that many smaller donations from a broad body of committed friends and family are actually more sustainable.

I will continue to teach in YWAM, but I hope to restrict that teaching to 1 week per month. There is often an honorarium linked to these opportunities, but equally many places I go I do so at my own expense. Last year when I taught in "closed country" XYZ, the whole trip was self-supported. I am hoping to introduce teaching University of the Nations certificate courses out of my own home (works great for 12-15 students). Over the course of the next 8 months I will be introducing 3 YWAM Modules, “The Nature and Character of God”, “Ministry to the Pain of the Heart”, and “Transformational Mind Renewal.” I have also branched out with a On-Line Course for developing an itinerate teaching ministry in YWAM. Currently, I have 6 students taking this course.

Another new venture is hosting retreats. This is mostly my project as Sandy is fairly preoccupied with her counseling and play therapy. So far in the past year I have hosted 4 retreats. I plan to add a hermitage in the back yard and will offer a place for people who are looking for quiet place for meditation, prayer, and spiritual direction. A mini-retreat is the monthly “Theology Café” which is a World Café style of dialogue focusing on “conversations that matter”. This has become an absolute joy since as a group we are learning to communicate at a heart level.

Retirement is out of the question for me, since the investment necessary to do so was beyond our means when we first started down this “faith-path”. Now with some hind-sight wisdom I am telling my kids to invest for this future reality. So I am happy to continue in ministry, but to do so I need to monthly raise $2000 in additional Faith support and $1000 income from teaching. I have the vision and the energy for the next 5 years, and with an increased support level less anxiety about paying all the bills.

I will close by paraphrasing the Apostle James’ advice presented earlier in this article: If the Lord has anything to do with my plans, and we are alive, we will do what I have broadly laid out before you.

Thanks for reading this article! If any of you have any questions I would be delighted to answer the questions to the best of my ability.

Blessings,

Paul Martinson

To Donate Directly (no tax receipt) make your check out to Paul Martinson and mail to:

Paul Martinson

2718 Robinson Rd.

Winfield, BC

Canada V4V1G6

To Donate for a Canadian Tax Receipt: Make your cheque out to “YWAM” and on a separate paper write “For the ministry of Paul Martinson” and send to:

YWAM Project Funding

PO Box 57100

Vancouver, BC

Canada V5K1Z5

To Donate for a USA Tax Receipt: Make your check out to “YWAM” and on a separate paper write “For the ministry of Paul Martinson” and send to:

YWAM Tyler

PO Box 3000

Garden Valley, TX

75771-3000

Comments

I wondered what an ebenezer was every time we sang that song! (Somehow I always ended up thinking about "A Christmas Carol".) But a few years ago I met someone from a church with the word ebenezer in the title, so I asked him (what is an ebenezer, anyway, and why would I raise it?)

Popular posts from this blog

Metanoia